02 8197 0105

After divorce who do the children live with? Can I get joint custody?

In most divorce and separation cases, the children will continue to live with the primary caregiver. There is, however, no legal entitlement for this to occur.

The Australian Family Law Act requires the Court to consider shared care of the children when an Order is made for equal shared parental responsibility for a child. This occurs where it is considered to be both in the child’s best interest and reasonably practical to do so. 

Shared care arrangements for children after divorce and separation are more likely to be considered by the Family Law Court in circumstances where the parents:

1. live within a short distance of one another
2. have a low level of inter-parental conflict
3. can demonstrate a history of an effective communication between the parents with respect to the children’s issues.

See Family Law case examples on the Family Law blogsite

Download your Free Divorce Advice ebook Parting Ways: Divorce and Separation: A Guide to Your Rights & Responsibilities

Who are Streeterlaw Sydney Lawyers?

Streeterlaw Sydney Lawyers is a Sydney Law Firm located in the CBD 4 minutes from Town Hall Station.

Streeterlaw's team of lawyers and solicitors can advise you on legal matters. As an Accredited Specialist in Commercial Litigation Law, Principal Sydney lawyer Mark Streeter's experience and training can make the difference you need. Streeterlaw Sydney Lawyers' unique combination of commercial knowledge with fraud and insolvencies means they can handle complex family law cases involving businesses, property and complex matters. More about Streeterlaw…

Explore the site and the International and Australian legal case studies in the Real Stories and Cases section.